Patrick Taurel, Legal Fellow and the American Immigration Council, provides an in-depth look...
No Action Taken: Lack of CBP Accountability in Responding to Complaints of Abuse in the News
The American Immigration Council recently published No Action Taken: Lack of CBP Accountability in Responding to Complaints of Abuse based on data we obtained through FOIA litigation. The resulting report show just how flawed and unaccountable the complaint process has become within CBP where 97% of complaints issued against CBP officers go without action.
To view our press release on the report, see:
To view the report and recommendations in their entirety, see:
- No Action Taken: Lack of CBP Accountability in Responding to Complaints of Abuse (Immigration Council Special Report, May 2014)
- Recommendations to DHS to Improve Complaint Processing (Women's Refugee Commission, May 2014)
To listen to a recording of a tele-briefing on the report, visit:
- No Action Taken: Telebriefing (May 6, 2014)
Watch the Rachel Maddow Show's feature of No Action Taken
- Accountability lacking at border agency (June 12, 2014)
The following media outlets covered the findings in the report:
- New York Times: Complaints of Abuse by Border Agents Often Ignored, Records Show, May 6, 2014
- The Nation: ‘No Action Taken’ on 97 Percent of Border Patrol Abuse Complaints, May 6, 2014
- NBC News: No Immigration Reform, but Plenty of Studies of the Issues, May 6, 2014
- Latin Times: Border Patrol Accountability In Doubt On Abuse Complaints, Says New Analysis, May 6, 2014
- San Antonio Express-News: Report criticizes Border Patrol complaint process, May 6, 2014
- ThinkProgress: STUDY: Border Patrol Agents Disciplined For Less Than 3 Percent Of Abuse Allegations, May 6, 2014
- Voxxi: Abuse complaints against Border Patrol rarely lead to discipline, May 6, 2014
- Tucson Sentinel: Abuse complaints rarely lead to discipline for border agents, May 6, 2014
- Brownsville Herald: Data highlights trends with CBP accusations, May 6, 2014
- El Paso Times: Immigration: ACLU report alleges lack of accountability for US Border Patrol agents, May 6, 2014
- Las Cruces Sun-News (El Paso Times Story): Immigration: ACLU report alleges lack of accountability for US Border Patrol agents, May 7, 2014
- AP (The Monitor-McAllen, Texas): Border Patrol complaints seldom lead to discipline, May 6, 2014
- The AP story also appeared on the websites of news organizations across U.S., particularly in border states including Texas, New Mexico, and California.
- Fusion: Complaints of Abuse by Border Patrol Go Unanswered, May 6, 2014
- La Opinion: Border Patrol accused of not responding to complaints of abuse, May 6, 2014
- Arizona Republic: Report: Border Patrol ignores complaints against agent, May 6, 2014
- McClatchy: Border Patrol rarely punishes agents accused of abuse, study shows, May 6, 2014
- This story also appears in several McClatchy-affiliated news organizations, including the Miami Herald.
- NPR: Report Details Hundreds Of Complaints Against U.S. Border Agents, May 7, 2014
- The NPR story also appears across NPR’s affiliate network, showing up on more than 100 affiliate websites.
- RT: US border agents rarely punished for abuse – study, May 7, 2014
- Tucson News Now: Report: Most CBP complaints are against Tucson Sector | Video, May 7, 2014
- Albuquerque Journal: Advocate’s report criticizes Border Patrol complaint process, May 7, 2014
- Arizona Daily Star: No action taken in most complaints against border agents, May 7, 2014
- Vice: US-Mexico Border Patrol Agents Can Get Away With Pretty Much Anything, May 7, 2014
- Fox News Latino: Border Patrol Abuse Goes Largely Unpunished, New Report Claims, May 7, 2014
- Daily Beast: 800+ Complaints Against Border Agents, May 7, 2014
- ABC7 KVIA: Immigrant group issues report on alleged misconduct by Border Patrol along southern border, May 7, 2014
- Vox: Border Patrol gets lots of abuse complaints — and hardly ever disciplines agents, May 8, 2014
- Phoenix New Times: Tucson Border Patrol Sector Earns Most Complaints of Abuse, but Punishment Is Rare, May 8, 2014
- ColorLines: Thinking of Formally Complaining to U.S. Border Patrol?, May 8, 2014
- Latinos Post: Border Patrol Ignores Abuse Reports Made Against Their Agents: Study, May 8, 2014
- Border News Network: Immigrant Rights Groups: US CBP, Border Patrol Need Improved Complaint Process, May 9, 2014
- Arizona Daily Star: Steller: Want info from opaque Border Patrol? Get a lawyer, May 9, 2014
- Arizona Republic: Why border cops' failures are your problem, too, May 9, 2014
- Los Angeles Times: Border Patrol agents rarely disciplined in abuse cases, records show, May 9, 2014
- Brownsville Herald: Figures suggest extent of complaints, May 11, 2014
- This story also appears in several affiliated South Texas newspapers, including The Monitor in McAllen, Texas.
- New York Times: Impunity and the Border Patrol, May 11, 2014
- RT: Mexican citizen sues ICE for beatings, 5 months in solitary, May 13, 2014
- Brownsville Herald: Take Action, May 14, 2014
- NPR: U.S. Border Patrol's Response To Violence In Question, May 15, 2014
- This piece aired during NPR’s Morning Edition on May 15 and was also appears on NPR affiliate’s websites across the country.
- Nogales International and Weekly Bulletin: No action is no surprise, May 16, 2014
- The Investigative Fund: New Study: No Accountability for Abuse at the Border, May 19, 2014
- ThinkProgress: Death Of Another Unarmed U.S. Citizen Tests Border Patrol’s Use Of Force Policy, June 6, 2014
- BuzzFeed: Exclusive: Immigrant Minors Alleged Mistreatment By U.S. Border Officials, June 9, 2014
- McClatchy: Border protection internal affairs chief fired amid abuse claims, June 9, 2014
- BuzzFeed: U.S. Border Agency Ousts Internal Affairs Head After Abuse Allegations, June 9, 2014
- ThinkProgress: Border Agency Removes Watchdog Head As Hundreds Of Abuse Allegations Are Ignored, June 10, 2014
- Daily Mail: Obama opens third military base to deal with flood of illegal child immigrants as officials insist they are being cared for despite abuse allegations, June 10, 2014
Read Our Blog
Read the latest in immigration news at ImmigrationImpact.com, with new articles published every weekday.
Text FACTS to 51555 to get the latest posts sent right to your phone.