The Durham Academy News Feed recently highlighted remarks made by the American Immigration...
Institute & Meetings (2011 Litigation Meeting)
Litigation Meeting Materials
How do we stop states and localities from adopting and enforcing local immigration measures? (Arizona copycat bills)
Prolonged detention/detention conditions
Outline of questions for discussion in the detention small group session
1. Larger perspective discussion
- What are our overall goals with respect to immigration detention? What do we want to accomplish?
- What aspects of these goals can be achieved through litigation?
- Until now, litigation and litigation strategizing has focused on the following areas:
- Prolonged and mandatory detention
- Short-term detention conditions
- Obtaining a prompt hearing before an IJ for all detained
- Damages for unlawful detention
- FOIA suits to obtain detention related information
- Are these the right issues to be focusing on and/or are there other issues we should be addressing?
2. Move onto a discussion of specific issues and work to be done on those issues
- Mandatory Detention Tips
- Law treatise section of restraint of prisoners
- "Litigating Immigration Detention Conditions" (current as of 2008)
Motions to Suppress
How do we obtain government appointed attorneys in removal proceedings?
- Franco-Gonzales v. Holder, Amended Preliminary Injunction Order finding government must appoint representation for two individuals with mental disabilities (2011) and plaintiff’s brief
- Matter of L-T-, brief addressing right to counsel for noncitizen with mental disabilities (2010)
- Matter of B-Z-, brief addressing right to counsel for noncitizen with mental disabilities (2011)
- Gonzalez Machado v. Ashcroft, order granting motion to dismiss in case seeking appointed counsel for child (2002)
- Gocke v. Ashcroft, Report and Recommendation finding right to appointed counsel for person with mental disability and Order not adopting R&R (2003)
How do we prevent local enforcement agencies from cooperating with DHS? (Detainers, 287(g), Secure Communities)
- National Immigration Forum Backgrounder: Quick Information on Immigration Detainers and List of Settled and Pending Federal Lawsuits
- Washington Defender Association Advisory - Immigration Detainers: Practice Advisory Overview for Defenders
- A Dangerous Merger: ICE Enforcement Programs in the Criminal Justice Program
- Castro v. Lignitz & Walraven (description of case and link to complaint) - case challenging implementation of 287(g) program in Cobb County, GA
- IMMIGRATION DETAINERS AND UNLAWFUL DETENTION: A Guide for Criminal Attorneys, by Erich C. Straub, Davorin J. Odrcic and Steve Laxton (Jan. 5, 2011)
- Criminal-immigration Issues Session Handout
- Removal Defense Checklist
- Multiple Drug Possession Cases after Carachuri-Rosendo v. Holder
- Practice Tip: Fair Sentencing Act
- Silva-Trevino monitoring
- 212(h) Defense Update
Problems related to removal proceedings
- EOIR Memo on Courtroom Security
- San Francisco Immigration Judge Survey 2010
- Objecting to Video Merits Hearings
- Retroactive Applicability of Padilla v. Kentucky
- "Duty to Advise Noncitizens," by Erich C. Straub & Davorin J. Odrcic
Prosecutorial Discretion Survery
Read Our Blog
Read the latest in immigration news at ImmigrationImpact.com, with new articles published every weekday.
Text FACTS to 51555 to get the latest posts sent right to your phone.